Search This Blog

Saturday, January 2, 2016

[Heart] of Sharjah

 
 
The day I got my offer letter... last year in the UAE.
At my friend's place in Sharjah, I received a call from Australia, early in the morning. The voice told me that I had been chosen to serve the firm that provided services in the healthcare sector.
Puzzled! haan...
0800 hrs___I felt like celebrating but then also crying as I was half asleep and the horrible ring tone of my phone had struck my ears like thunder bolts. However, there was only one thought going round and around my brain, and that was a place that I had been reading and researching since days.
" a visit to the Heart of Sharjah"
How did I come to know about it? It is simple if you are a freak at exploring places. Try using guide books that you can find at every forgettable corner of the airport. It will give you a very rough idea about the related city. The rest depends on yourself, how you want to explore its discovered or hidden gems.
If you ask me, I would always go for the places that are not touristic, the places where every traveler would not go. Such places make you more aware of the city's essence.
Somehow, this place reminded me of a city with which I have very strong connections named 'Jhang' back in my hometown, Pakistan. Therefore, a visit was quite necessary, I suppose.
A place that reminds you of home is worth thousand visits, I believe.
1100 hrs___ I should treat myself... right? A new job for a person who is new to the city deserved a special treatment on this particular day. And how was it supposed to happen. Not one of the most celebrated ways but I just grabbed a bus to reach this heritage site.

Travelling in Sharjah is comparatively easy and cheap, lets assume. I really did not know where to get down and somehow the maze of streets that the bus was running through made me more and more anxious, until I saw a park where I could see people running like ants. So I decided to make my first stop over.
This was not an ordinary place, it was the "Rolla Square Park" a memorial park built in remembrance of the plantation of the first banyan tree in Sharjah in 1800s. Locally this type of tree is called Rolla, hence the name for the landmark was kept to commemorate that moment.
History! history! history!
I had already started to enjoy the unorganized historical patterns of the city. This was the time where I felt the urge to use a city map that would take me to the place where I had planned to make my next stop.
It was a long walk and somehow my urge for seeking absurd architecture details made me detour. And then what I saw is right below...
On the outside___

As I walked through the back mid-rise residential areas, I could see a long endless wall.

 
Now this is pure vernacularism... the construction technique of the wall spoke of a technique used in a specific time without technology serving the basic need. What does a boundary wall do? It provides 'privacy'.
The are coral reefs used as building blocks for the walls.

The back entrance to the site and guess what! no ticket required... it is all for free.

At the inside___

Alright! now this is interesting. This is from the inside of the Sharjah National Theatre. They had hung hundreds of portraits of members from its first days till date. I managed to meet a couple of actors too, they were just spending some time as you can see the place is very cosy. I will say it was a 'Diwaniya' for people who did theatre.

At your right are the stables for horses that were kept in the past.

Observe!... the mystery of the architect's imagination.

This was the entrance to a small museum... the entrance fee is 5 dirhams as far as I remember. It is worth going inside and read a bit about the area.
On the roof___
















1700 hrs___My visit to this forgettable piece of land was a feast for my brain. Vernacular, but from the time when this city started to build up. The architecture spoke of stories of people who once lived here and imagined a prosperous emirate for future.
Feel like sharing your thoughts - comment on the post or email me on ssameeraftab@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment